Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

Saving time and money!


Today I decided to do some freezer cooking. A couple other blogs I follow are into freezer cooking/ meal swaps and I figured it was time I gave it a try. I have one recipe for stuffed shells that I've used before that makes one pan to eat and the other to freeze so I figured I'd try that and one chicken recipe I haven't made in a LONG time.

This could have been planned better around sales and such but I wanted to get this done today. I made a quick trip to Meijer and to the meat store and got started... it took me less than an hour and I have a big pan of shells for dinner tonight, two more pans for two more nights, teriyaki chicken for this week and a bag of teriyaki chicken to freeze for another night. PLUS, I had some extra meat/cheese filling from the shells so I made some more noodles (I ran out of shells) and put the filling on the noodles and some sauce to freeze for another meal! That's a total of 6 meals made ahead!

It was great! I did this all before noon- the kids were great- since it was early in the day they stayed busy playing with their toys and I got all this cooking done. This is definitely the way to go-- my kids are usually terrible when I'm getting dinner ready- they're usually hungry and it's the end of the day- but this-- cooking dinner at and before/during lunch- was perfect!

Check out Heather from Spectacular Savings and her freezer cooking/ meal swap tips. You can also check out Once a Month Cooking for freezer cooking tips and menus. I just used recipes I already had... let me know if you want me to post the recipes.

Have you tried freezer cooking yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment