Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Cheap fun with the kids!

Last week I did another fun project with my boys-- we cleaned out some of the broken crayons in their crayon box and made some new ones! They thought it was lots of fun- and it was very easy!

You can do them a couple different ways, but we chose to put them in muffin tins and melt them in the oven. I preheated the oven to 260 degrees and lined the muffin tins/ silicone liners I planned to use. I found some great Wilton Square Silicone Baking Cups on amazon that were perfect! I thought it might be easier to color with something square shaped versus round, but did make some others with my mini-muffin tin as well.

We first sorted the crayons by colors, keeping similar colors together. Then, we put the crayons in the tins. I could have filled them up more...











Then, I put them in the oven for about 20 minutes and closely watched them and when they appeared to all be melted I took them out. You can use a toothpick and swirl the colors to make them even more fun!



Once they cool, you crack them out of the muffin liners and you have new crayons to use! The first few times some of the edges did crack off and were a bit messy, but my boys are having fun with their homemade crayons!

No comments:

Post a Comment