Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

More homemade laundry detergent

After making my own liquid laundry detergent a few weeks ago, my neighbor found another recipe- that's a powder- that uses Castile soap instead of Fels Naptha. I've made a couple batches and I think I like it even more than the liquid.

I would put pictures, but my brother gave me a hard time for the last round of detergent pictures-- he said it looked a little too much like a meth lab...

1 bar Castile soap- $2.99 for 3 pk at Meijer- finely shredded (I use my Parmesean cheese grater)
1 cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda- $2.79 at Meijer (found in laundry aisle by stain removers)
1 cup Borax- $2.99 at Target (also at Meijer in the laundry aisle by stain remover)

Mix all 3 together- I've put them all in a blender to get more of a fine powder (really hard on the blender), but found that putting it in a ziploc bag and mashing it with a rolling pin works just as well!

Use 1-2 tablespoons per load. I use one heaping tablespoon and it works great!

This does cost a bit more than the liquid detergent-- it's $1.71 per batch- which makes 48 loads (conservative estimate)- making each load around $.03! Still cheaper than buying regular detergent at the store and much easier than making liquid.

No comments:

Post a Comment